RCCE runs a practical one day workshop aimed at officers or members who want to find out about the basics of community development work, or wanting a refresher. It is designed for thos who:
- have an interest in working with communities
- already work in community development
- work with communities in a related field and want to know more
- work in another profession and want to understand more about community development
The session explores the essentials of community development. It covers topics including:
- what makes a good community development worker
- the different types of community work that you are involved in
- exercises to understand the needs of different communities
- communication skills
- partnership working
- working with people in other professions
- the values of community development work
The session is informal, with participants and tutors sharing their practical knowledge and experiences of working with communities.
The course has been delivered countywide, at a regional level and for individual organisations, the content is easily adaptable to a wide variety of circumstances to suit individual needs.
This course provides participants with an Open College Network qualification at level 2 or level 3, which is recognised nationally and can lead to further learning opportunities.
Who is it for?
It is designed to meet the training needs of anyone with an interest in working with communities, volunteers, workers in the voluntary and community sector, Parish Clerks, or those seeking a career change.
What does it cover?
This interactive, practically focussed course is divided into three modules:
What commitment is required?
- Understanding individuals and communities
- Practical communications, research and consultation
- Impact of government on community development
Learners must commit to 60 hours of group learning sessions split into weekly sessions of 3 hours, plus self-study time.
The course has been successfully delivered by RCCE and partner organisations through RAE qualifying a range of new and experience Community Development Workers.
This training session explores the Local Development Framework and the purpose of the different documents within it. It explains the processes and stages in the creation of development plan documents and the relationship with local authority community planning and service delivery processes.
Training can be delivered as a stand alone ½ day session or as part of a wider whole day event to incorporate links with community led planning. It is delivered using a mixture of participatory and lecture style techniques. At the end os the session participants will have a thorough understanding of plan creation and how the planning system works.
This half day training session focuses on community led planning. The training session covers:
- the distinctions between the different types of Community Led Plan
- the process for preparing all types of Community Led Plan
- the importance of engaging the community in the process
- the role of planning officers and members
The session is a mix of interactive workshop, focused discussion and presentation style learning.